Strawberry Sunshine Salad!
By: Marylaine Viernes
So much goodness in one bowl! This salad will be the centerpiece of color and flavor in your many unforgettable family picnics!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
• A pack of fresh organic strawberries, ripe and juice for natural sweetness!
• Spinach… yes, spinach! You can also add arugula for some exciting zing!
• 2 avocadoes, cored, peeled and cut up in even bite-sized portions
• 2 cups of Feta cheese (gorgonzola or crumbled blue cheese are also smart options)
• Medium sized onion cut in fresh, thin rings. If your or anyone in the family don’t like the strong smell or taste of onion, you may soak the slices in some cold water as you prepare the rest of your ingredients
• Toasted sliced almonds or roasted pistachios… or both for that nutty crunch!
• Dressing: Your choice of vinaigrette, but since you’re at it, why not make your own healthy and preservative-free home-made strawberry balsamic vinaigrette? It’s so easy to make! All you need to do is combine a cup of balsamic vinegar with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, throw in a clove of finely minced garlic, then add a tablespoon of Dijon mustard. Don’t forget the secret ingredient… 3 tablespoons of fresh strawberry jam! You can even be a little adventurous and add a spoonful of your favorite berry jam! Mix all the ingredients well and then add in a dash of salt and pepper to taste. And voila! You’ve got the perfect dressing! Set this berry yummy concoction aside as you prepare to toss your salad ingredients together!
1. Get a nice large bowl and toss in the spinach and arugula.
2. Layer the sliced strawberries, avocado pieces, soaked onion rings on top.
3. Add in the toasted and chopped nuts, and then sprinkle a generous amount of cheese.
4. Add the dressing only when you are ready to serve the salad. We recommend half a cup of dressing only per bowl-sized portions to retain the freshness of the ingredients and not make the dish taste, feel and look soggy.
5. Garnish with additional strawberry slices as needed… enjoy with the family!